The new Husqvarna/Viking Sapphire 960Q is a new sewing an quilting machine that I had an opportunity to review.
At A Glance
The brilliant sapphire blue and white motif caught my eye before I even knew I was looking at a Husqvarna/Viking. The function buttons are clearly identified and easy to access.
There is an on board stitch selection guide and a neeleplate with seam guides etched on both sides of the needle, a comfortable large work space and on board accessories case.
- 777 total stitch options
- 321 decorative and utility stitch options
- 9 perfect balance buttonholes
- 2 eyelets
- My Stitch memory/menu (limit 2300 total stitches)
- 5 Programmable alphanumeric fonts
- USB port
- Interactive full color touch screen
- Sewing advisor
- Large sewing surface
- 29 Needle positions
- 4 multi-sized embroidery fonts
- Quick on-screen help
- Stitch tapering function
- Adjustable stitch length and width
- Mirror edge to edge/side to side
- 5 speeds
- Stitches appear on screen in actual size
- 12 languages
Working on the Husqvarna/Viking Sapphire 960Q
Winding the bobbin and threading the Husqvarna/Viking Sapphire 960Q is uncomplicated and easy enough for a beginner to master. I like the fact you can rewind the bobbin from the needle.
Although it takes only a few seconds to thread a sewing machine, those seconds can add up when working on a project that requires several bobbin rewinds.
If you have a very hectic lifestyle and like to sew as much as I do, it’s very important t save as much time as possible. When you’re busy in the sewing room, the more time you can save the better.
A good practice is to pre-wind at least two or three bobbins. However, if your bobbin stash is loaded with many different colors and types of threads, that may not be possible.
Having a machine that allows you wind the bobbin from the needle is the next best thing to having one that winds bobbins while you’re sewing.
The stitch selection process is easy once you get the hang of it. Everything takes place on the touch screen, which is pretty much user friendly once you understand the meanings of the symbols and icons.
You must first select the stitch grouping that you want and then use the left and right arrows beneath the screen to toggle through the many stitch options.
The quality of the stitches produced by the Husqvarna/Viking Sapphire 960Q is very good. In my opinion, these stitches are equal to if not better than the stitches produced by the top of the line Designer Diamond Royale.
- Natural fibers/cotton-linen-wool
- Fine fabrics/silk-satin-taffeta/velvet
- Knits(Medium to heavyweight only)
- Synthetic fabrics/blends-rayon-polyester
- Reptile skin
- Extra thick fabrics or multiple layers
- 12 Snap on Presser feet
- Blind hem
- Non-stick glide
- Open toe
- Sensor/1-step buttonhole with adhesive glide pads
- 4 spool caps (2 large/1 medium/1 small)
- Carrying case
- Pictogram pen
- Extra needles
- Thread net
- Seam ripper
- Lint brush
- Edge/quilting guide
- 6 bobbins
- Straight stitch needle plate
- Microfiber cloth for cleaning the machine head
|After each use||Monthly*||Once Each Year**||As Needed|
|Clean race hook and feed dogs|
|Wipe head with soft dry cloth|
|Wipe head with soft damp cloth|
|Service by sewing machine repair professional|
Tying Off The Loose Ends
If you are in the market for a sewing and quilting machine that is reasonably priced, you might want to take a close look at the Husqvarna/Viking 960Q.
The stitch quality is very close to the quality of stitches found only on those old vintage machines that gave you the perfectly formed straight stitches our grandmothers and great grandmothers were accustomed to.
There is a learning curve when it comes to using the touchpad to select stitches and adjust the stitch length and width. This process could be a challenge for people who are also trying to learn the basics of sewing.
Therefore, I do not recommend the Husqvarna/Viking Sapphire 960Q for use by beginners – especially beginners younger than 18-21 years of age.
I my opinion, the greatest feature aside from the stitch quality is the ability to wind the bobbin from the needle. Anything that can save time and lets you get the job done as quickly as possible gets a nod from me.
The Husqvarna/Viking Sapphire 960Q may not have all the stitch options available on some other sewing and quilting machines, but it more than makes that up with the superior stitch quality.
I wouldn’t necessarily call this machine extremely user friendly. I think the stitch selection process were simpler it could be a good choice for beginners.
If, however, you are an intermediate or advanced home sewer and interested in a moderately priced computerized sewing and quilting machine, the Husqvarna/Viking Sapphire 960Q just might be the one for you.
- Needs lots of help – able to sew a straight seam but unfamiliar with most sewing techniques; needs assistance and instruction on basic sewing techniques.
- Competent – can make different clothing items without assistance or guidance, but not good enough to sew intricate projects or to sew without a pattern.
- Expert – can sew anything without instruction or assistance; possesses an expansive knowledge of sewing techniques and terminology.
- Side motion sewing
- Automatic thread tension adjustment
- Automatic drop feed
- No manual drop feed