I had been reading about the new Husqvarna Designer series and one day received an e-mail asking me to review the Designer Diamond Royale sewing and embroidery machine.
The timing was perfect. Just a few days later, I had a great time playing with several of the new sewing machines from Husqvrna/Viking.
At A Glance
The Designer Diamond Royal has a sleek blue and white motif, and comes equipped with a stylus on the right side, a full color touch screen, and a full complement of function buttons that control the presser foot up/down, needle up/down, stop, fix, start/stop, tie off, thread snip, reverse stitch, and speed.
The detachable embroidery unit exposes the free arm and makes room the accessories tray which can be attached behind the free arm.
The top of the line Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond Royale has so many standard features it’s difficult to see how anyone would actually use all of them.
- Sensor system
- Sewing and embroidery advisors
- Full color touch screen 8” wide
- 1250 built in decorative, utility, quilting, monogram and embroidery stitches
- 233 embroidery designs
- 4 multi-sized embroidery fonts
- High embroidery speed
- Oversized embroidery unit
- Changeable embroidery screen appearance
- On screen appliqué creation
- Design shaping and positioning
- Resize design/stitch recalculation
- Thread cutter with automatic jump stitch feature
- Extra large sewing surface – nearly 10” right side of the needle
- Adjustable e-light system [change light brightness and color]
- USB connectivity
- Downloadable updates
Working on the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond Royale
Most sewing machines beep when you turn them on or simply don’t make a sound. The Husqvrna/Viking Designer Diamond Royale, however, plays a whimsical tune when the switch is turned to the on position.
Winding the bobbin and threading the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond Royale is the easiest thing about operating this machine. In my opinion, the stitch selection process is far too complicated for most beginners.
The first thing you must do is touch the stitch menu button on the touch screen. A series of different stitch options opens for you to choose from utility stitches, decorative stitches, embroidery stitches or quilting stitches.
Once the menu opens up, touch the stitch option you want and then touch the button to lower the presser foot and press the start/stop button.
The stop button is a great feature for ending a series of design stitches at the starting point, making it possible for you to complete a series of design stitches neatly.
For this review, although the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond Royale is a sewing and embroidery machine, I decided to test several different utility and decorative stitch options.
I was very impressed with the quality of the stitches made on the Designer Diamond Royale. The utility stitches are clean and well formed and the decorative stitches have great definition.
Although I didn’t personally sample any of the embroidery options, Janet, the Husqvarna/Viking embroidery guru at Ace Sewing and Vacuum eagerly showed me the mask she made on the Designer Diamond Royale and a special embroidery project she did for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Both jobs were exquisite in detail and workmanship.
The clear bobbin cover is a plus, but with the on board sensor to tell you when it’s time to add thread, this feature isn’t really necessary.
I noticed that with all its features, there isn’t a drop feed. That’s because the feed dogs automatically drop down when you select a darning stitch or another stitch that does not require the feed dogs to be in the raised position.
The feature I like most of all is the fact that it is not necessary to remove the embroidery arm in order to sew.
This gives you an extra large workspace which comes in handy when working on those large sewing projects, like dresses, jackets, pants and coats.
When it’s time to use the free arm the embroidery unit slides off easily by pushing the lever on the underside and sliding it off the machine. It goes back on just as easily when you’re ready to get back to work on larger pieces.
- Natural fibers/cotton-linen-wool
- Fine fabrics/silk-satin-taffeta/velvet
- Knits(Medium to heavyweight only)
- Synthetic fabrics/blends-rayon-polyester
- Reptile skin
- Extra thick fabrics or multiple layers
The Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond Royale comes with all the accessories you could possibly want or need to have the most enjoyable sewing and machine embroidery experience possible.
- 13 Snap on presser feet
- Decorative stitch
- Blind hem
- Non-stick glide
- Side motion
- Clear decorative stitch
- Sensor 1-step buttonhole
- Interchangeable dual feed
- Embroidery unit
- Accessories tray
- 3 Embroidery hoops
- Large – Designer Royal Hoop (360mm x 200mm)
- Medium – Designer Crown Hoop (260mm x 200mm)
- Designer Splendid Square Hoop (120mm x 120mm)
- Thread net
- Quilt guide
- 1 GB USB flash drive
- Seam ripper
- Lint brush
- 4 Spool caps (2 large/1 medium/1 small)
- Multipurpose tool/Button reed
- 16 Embroidery hoop clips
- Pictogram pen
- 11 bobbins
- Straight stitch plate
- Complimentary downloadable software
- Carrying case
- Luggage style carrying bag
- USB cable
- Designer Diamond Royale Sampler book
- Owner’s manual
- Classic collection CD
- Microfiber cloth for cleaning the machine
- Pieces of fabric and stabilizer for sampling embroidery designs
|After each use||Monthly*||Once Each Year**||As Needed|
|Clean race hook and feed dogs|
|Wipe head with soft dry cloth|
|Wipe head with soft damp cloth|
|Service by sewing machine repair professional|
Tying Off The Loose Ends
The Husqvarana/Viking Designer Diamond Royale is an interesting sewing and embroidery machine. This is the first machine I’ve ever seen with an appliqué program that allows you to sew on pieces of fabric, creating your own appliqués with ease.
It is also one of the few sewing and embroidery machines on the market that allows you to perform regular sewing tasks with the embroidery unit in place.
I also like the fact that the e-lights can be adjusted not only for brightness, but also to change color, depending upon your particular needs and whim.
This is definitely not a machine for beginners. I am tempted to add that it should not be used by people with intermediate sewing skills – those who can follow a pattern, sew basic patterns and are exploring machine embroidery.
A sewing and embroidery machine like the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond Royale is far too complicated for someone who has limited sewing skills.
I believe if you are going to spend the monetary equivalent of a good used car on a sewing machine, you should be able to use it extensively in order to get your money’s worth.
If, on the other hand, you are already adept at machine embroidery and want to step up to a top of the line sewing and embroidery machine with computer capability and upgradable software, then Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond Royale is definitely worth a close look.
This is a perfect choice for the machine embroidery expert who is in the market for a fully computerized sewing and embroidery machine.
- Needs lots of help – able to sew a straight seam but unfamiliar with most sewing techniques; needs assistance and instruction on basic sewing techniques.
- Competent – can make different clothing items without assistance or guidance, but not good enough to sew intricate projects or to sew without a pattern.
- Expert – can sew anything without instruction or assistance; possesses an expansive knowledge of sewing techniques and terminology.
- Sew with embroidery arm in place
- Ability to create any embroidery font from your computer
- Sensor alerts you when straight stitch plate is in place
- No drop feed