Husqvarna Viking Designer Diamond Deluxe Review
Ease Of Use
- Beginner: Needs lots of help – able to sew a straight seam but unfamiliar with most sewing techniques; needs assistance and instruction on basic sewing techniques.
- Intermediate: Competent – can make different clothing items without assistance or guidance, but not good enough to sew intricate projects or to sew without a pattern.
- Expert – can sew anything without instruction or assistance; possesses an expansive knowledge of sewing techniques and terminology.
We were fortunate enough to just be browsing around Ace Sewing and Vacuum Center in Pompano Beach, Florida, when a client came in to inquire about Viking’s new Designer Diamond deLuxe.
It isn’t often that we actually have the privilege of watching a sewing sales expert in action.
Husqvarna Viking Designer Diamond deLuxe
Janet, the sales expert on duty at the time, was not only gracious to the client who had come in while vacationing from West Virginia, she invited us to observe and take photos of the entire process.
The client was even willing to talk with us regarding her experiences with earlier models of Viking sewing machines and as an on-line customer of Ace Sewing and Vacuum Center.
As it turns out, this woman and Ace have a long standing relationship. Although this was her first visit to the shop, we were impressed when Janet remembered this client when she learned that she had ordered a machine from the Ace website about three or four years ago.
The rapport was established and over the next 45 minutes, the three of us nearly forgot that we had just met and simply enjoyed talking about machine embroidery, sewing in general and embroidering on Viking sewing machines in particular.
- Design stitching
- Undo/redo on screen editing
- Connects with home PCs
- More than 1,000 stitch options
- 2 USB ports
At A Glance
The first thing this reviewer observed on the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond deLuxe was the large embroidery extension table.
First thing to observe is the large embroidery extension table
No doubt, this is a machine that is capable of producing large embroidery and quilting projects at home with ease.
A very large color LCD screen
The only machines we have observed with larger work spaces have been industrial embroidery machines and full size quilting frames.
The next thing that stands out is the very large color LCD screen. Obviously, this is going to be a great demonstration.
Janet set about explaining the differences between the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond deLuxe and earlier Husqvarna/Viking Diamond models, the differences between the hoops, and the additional features and accessories available on the Designer Diamond deLuxe.
In addition to these very noticeable things, we were also impressed by the overall design of the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond deLuxe.
The aesthetics of the scroll accent on the lower right o the machine was just one design touch that makes this machine very eye appealing.
Add to that the function buttons, the clear bobbin cover and threading guides, and you are at once anxious to see what this machine can actually do.
The many features available on the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond deLuxe stand out from many other machines in this category:
- Over 1100 utility, decorative, embroidery and quilt stitch options.
- 6 sewing alphanumeric fonts
- 380 embroidery designs
- 4 embroidery alphanumeric fonts in three different size
- Exclusive Sensor System™ – makes automatic adjustments when sewing varying fabric thicknesses
- Sensor Foot Lift – automatically adjusts presser foot pressure and position
- Four positions: down, pivot, up, extra lift.
- Automatically adjusts feed dog position for maximum space to slide thick fabrics and quilts under the foot easily.
- Sensor Foot Pivot – When the machine stops in the needle down position, the presser foot senses thickness of the fabric.
- Automatic float position for instant pivoting, easy appliqué and quilting.
- Sensor Foot Pressure – Continuously senses the fabric thickness and automatically adjusts the presser foot pressure.
- EXCLUSIVE SEWING ADVISOR® – on board tutorial helps the user set the best stitch, stitch width, stitch length, thread; portioning/tension and presser foot pressure; displays the stitch on the LCD screen with the recommended presser foot, needle size and type
- EXCLUSIVE HUSQVARNA VIKING® EMBROIDERY ADVISOR™ – helps users select embroidery design, needle, stabilizer, top and bobbin thread; tips for embroidering with specialty fabrics and threads.
- ADJUSTABLE E LIGHT™ SYSTEM – allows users to set the on board machine lighting to suit the sewing environment and fabric color
- Smart Save – enables users to save embroidery designs with personalized adjustments; remembers where sewing stopped in case of power failure or if the embroidery project is interrupted.
Working on the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond deLuxe
Having a sewing machine sales professional as knowledgeable as Janet demonstrate this machine was a genuine treat. She really knows this machine inside and out.
The demonstration started with a tour of all the key features of the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Diamond deLuxe, especially the many functions of the touch screen.
The easy to follow threading and bobbin winding guides are most helpful. Watching Janet deftly go through this process was a treat; however, the guides were so clearly detailed, almost anyone could have accomplished these initial tasks.
Easy to follow threading and bobbin winding guides
Next we went through several embroidery designs in an attempt to determine which one to choose. Eventually, we settled on a four color purple flower.