On a recent visit to Eve and Dave’s Sewing Center in Ft. Lauderdale, I had an opportunity to review a Kenmore 385-15202400 sewing machine.
This straight and zigzag stitch electronic sewing machine was manufactured circa 2003 and sews like a brand new machine.
At A Glance
The Kenmore 385-15202400 is white with the buttonhole and zigzag stitch patterns stenciled on front along a pattern selection dial underneath and two lavender dials which control the stitch length and width settings.
There is also a large lavender reverse stitch button on the lower right hand side as well as a numerical threading guide, a manual tension adjustment dial and a front loading bobbin.
The on board accessories case can be removed to reveal the free arm and the needle plate has seam guides etched on both sides on the needle, making it easy to sew large and small items with ease.
- Easy stitch selection
- On board thread cutter
- Manual tension adjustment
- Adjustable stitch length and width
- Seam guides on both sides of the needle
- One 4 step buttonhole
Working on the Kenmore 385-15202400
The numerical threading guide and easy to use bobbin winder are so simple a child in elementary school can master the process in just a few tries.
There is a guide inside the drop down door that gives explicit directions on how to clean the bobbin housing and insert the front loading bobbin.
The stitch selection process is even simpler. A turn of the dial beneath the pattern selection graphic gets you to the desired stitch with ease.
Lengthening or widening stitches with the stitch length and width adjustment dials on front of the Kenmore 385-15202400 couldn’t be simpler and you couldn’t find better stitch quality.
- Natural fibers/cotton-linen-wool
- Fine fabrics/silk-satin-taffeta/velvet
- Knits(Medium to heavyweight only)
- Synthetic fabrics/blends-rayon-polyester
- Reptile skin
- Extra thick fabrics or multiple layers
- 4 presser feet
- Straight stitch
- Satin stitch
- Extra bobbins
- Spare needles
- Lint brush
- Seam ripper
|After each use||Monthly*||Once Each Year**||As Needed|
|Clean race hook and feed dogs|
|Wipe head with soft dry cloth|
|Wipe head with soft damp cloth|
|Service by sewing machine repair professional|
Tying Off The Loose Ends
The Kenmore 385-15202400 is one of those sewing machines that is ideal for a child of elementary school age.
It is also a great sewing machine for the senior citizen who likes to sew but is not interested in the multitude of features available on newer sewing machines.
It can perform all of the basic functions required for clothing construction and for making accessories or accents for the home.
It is a solid sewing machine that doesn’t offer much in the way of stitch options or features, but does an excellent job nonetheless.
It is a good solid workhorse that would be an excellent addition to any sewing room for basic sewing tasks.
I found this one at Eve and Dave’s Sewing Center in Ft. Lauderdale. I also found one on e-bay for anyone who doesn’t want to make the trip to sunny South Florida but still wants to acquire this great basic no frills sewing machine.
- Needs lots of help – able to sew a straight seam but unfamiliar with most sewing techniques; needs assistance and instruction on basic sewing techniques.
- Competent – can make different clothing items without assistance or guidance, but not good enough to sew intricate projects or to sew without a pattern.
- Expert – can sew anything without instruction or assistance; possesses an expansive knowledge of sewing techniques and terminology.
- Excellent stitch quality
- Free arm
- Good for teaching children
- Limited stitch selection options
- Manual tension adjustment