When I reviewed the Janome Memory Craft 9400QCP at Sunshine Sewing and Quilting in Margate, Florida, I first thought it was just another combination sewing and quilting machine. It is, however, more than that. The folks at Janome have added some features that I had never before seen on a sewing machine made for home or industrial use.
At A Glance
For starters, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that a small dial on the right side of the column is the drop feed control, which is in my opinion an answer to a prayer. Anyone who is familiar with reviews on this website knows that the placement of the drop feed control has been a pet peeve of mine for quite a while.
In addition to this very important change, the Janome Memory Craft 9400QCP has a stitch adjuster and stitch creator, which allow the user to create and customize stitches to suite their individual needs. There is also a USB port on the side of the column, and a large full color touchscreen on the front.
The on board stitch selection guide is inside the lid cover along with the numerical threading and bobbin winding guides.
The removable dual compartment accessory case reveals a convenient free arm. Beneath the needle is a large needle plate with seam guides etched all around and on the see through bobbin cover which makes it possible to see the thread supply on the drop in bobbin.
The Janome Memory Craft 9400QCP comes with three separate needle plates: a zigzag plate; a straight stitch and quarter inch plate; and a professional grade straight stitch plate which is designed to work with the needle in the left position only. That needle plate also comes with its own separate snap on presser foot and ankle.
Across the machine head and above the needle is a series of function buttons: start/stop; thread tie-off and cut; reverse/lock stitch; needle up/down; presser foot up/down; design stop and a variable speed slider. There is also an advanced needle threader and a bright LED light that extends from the top of the machine adding extra illumination to the area around the needle.
- 350 On board utility, decorative and quilting stitches
- 4 Alphanumeric fonts
- Drop in bobbin with see through cover
- Automatic tension control
- Adjustable stitch length and width – up to 9mm wide
- Independent bobbin motor
- Full color touchscreen
- More than 1000 stitches per minute
- USB Port
- Variable zigzag
- Advanced needle plate seam guides
- Stitch Composer Software allows users to design their own stitches
- 9 On board LED lights
- Automatic needle threader
- On board threading guides
- 2 On board accessory storage compartments
- Free arm
- Adjustable high light extends above the needle
- Function buttons:
- o Start/stop
- o Reverse/lock stitch
- o Presser foot up/down
- o Needle up/down
- o Thread tie-off/cut
- Variable speed control slider
- Work with single or double needle
- On board stitch selection guide
- On board ruler
- 4 Way mirror imaging
- Stitch memory
- 13 Languages
- Choice of three different background colors:
- o White
- o Pink
- o Yellow
Working on the Janome Memory Craft 9400QCP
The on board numerical threading and bobbin winding guides make getting started a piece of cake. Once the machine is threaded, selecting a stitch is simplified by a clearly defined menu.
Users have the option of choosing a stitch from one of six menu categories all depicted by graphic icons… utility stitches; decorative stitches; alphanumeric fonts or a tee-shirt icon which when opened reveals an extremely interesting menu of helps for applying practically every imaginable sewing application.
For this review, I sampled several of the utility and decorative stitch options, some of which I believe have never before been available on earlier models of sewing and quilting machines.
Not only did the stitches all come out with precision and perfection, the Janome Memory Craft 9400QCP is extremely quiet. There was no vibration at all and the ergonomic design makes for a very comfortable feeling, reducing the possibility for neck, wrist, shoulder and back strain when working for long periods of time without a break.
- Natural fibers/cotton-linen-wool
- Fine fabrics/silk-satin-taffeta/velvet
- Synthetic fabrics/blends-rayon-polyester
- Reptile skin
- Extra thick fabrics or multiple layers
- 13 snap on Presser feet
- 1/4 Inch Seam foot
- AcuFeed Flex™ dual feed foot
- Automatic buttonhole foot
- Blind hem foot
- Button sewing foot
- Cloth guide
- Darning foot
- Free motion quilting closed toe foot
- Open toe satin stitch foot
- Overedge foot m
- Rolled hem foot
- Satin stitch foot
- Zipper foot
- 3 Interchangeable needle plates
- Straight stitch/quarter inch
- Professional straight stitch (left needle position only) with presser foot
- Seam ripper
- Lint brush
- Extra needles
- Extension table
- Knee lift
- Owner’s manual
- Stitch composer software disc
- Instructional disc
- 1/4 Inch seam foot for Acufeed
- 3-Way cording foot
- Acufeed open toe foot
- Applique foot
- Beading foot (2 – 1 narrow/1 wide)
- Binder foot
- Border guide foot
- Buttonhole foot
- Clear view 1/4 seam foot 9mm
- Clear view quilting foot and guide set
- Concealed zipper foot
- Ditch quilting foot
- Edge guide foot
- Extra-large buttonhole foot and stabilizer plate
- Free motion couching foot
- Gathering foot
- Blue tip needles
- Purple tip Needle
- Red tip needle
- Bobbin (specialized)
- Bobbin holder for free motion quilting
- Buttonhole stabilizer plate
- Circular sewing attachment
- Extra-large foot controller with thread cutter
- Horizontal spool holder
- Insert plate
- Long quilting guide bar set
- Optic magnifier
- Remote thread cutter switch
- Single Acufeed holder and foot
- Ultraglide needle plate and Foot set
|After each use||Monthly*||Once Each Year**||As Needed|
|Clean race hook and feed dogs|
|Wipe head with soft dry cloth|
|Wipe head with soft damp cloth|
|Service by sewing machine repair professional|
Tying Off The Loose Ends
Fay Nicoll, owner of Sunshine Sewing and quilting aptly describes the Janome Memory Craft 9400QCQ as a machine that does “everything up to embroidery”. I couldn’t help but agree with her. This combination sewing and quilting machine really does do everything but there is no embroidery hoop, no embroidery software and no embroidery designs.
The Janome Memory Craft 9400 is definitely the dawn of the next generation of sewing and quilting machines from Janome. I must say, I was so happy to see that the folks at Janome took heed of my complaints and put the drop feed control in a very easily accessible place that I almost jumped for joy.
In addition to that very crucial feature, I really like the way the Janome Memory Craft 9400QCP handles. The stitch selection process is only a little bit of a challenge because there are so many choices. Once the user understands the process, however, selecting stitches and creating new ones is possibly one of the greatest features this machine has to offer.
I do not believe the Janome Memory Craft 9400QCP is a good choice for anyone who has never worked on a sewing machine before or is still in the process of learning the basics of sewing machine operation because of the many advanced features that are standard on this machine.
There are interesting new features that I hesitate to recommend it for certain home sewers whose skills are good, but not what some would consider to be at a strong intermediate level.
Anyone who decides that they want to add the Janome Memory Craft 9400QCP to their sewing room should be ready to spend some time getting to know this machine and working with all of the features before actually working on a major sewing or quilting project.
The good news is I don’t believe it will take long for a seasoned home sewer to learn to use these new features and be able to create fabulous clothes and quilts after just a few short hours of experimentation and practicing to determine preferences and favorite stitch combinations, which can be stored and saved for repeated use.
The Janome Memory Craft 9400QCP is more than just efficient, user-friendly and ergonomically designed. It is also affordably priced. With a MSRP of just $4999, this machine is within reach of many home budgets.
If you think you want to take home a Janome Memory Craft 9400 QCP of your own, set aside some time to visit an authorized independent Janome dealer near you. Ask a sales associate for a demonstration of this well designed sewing and quilting and be prepared to discuss flexible pricing and financing options.
- Needs lots of help – able to sew a straight seam but unfamiliar with most sewing techniques; needs assistance and instruction on basic sewing techniques.
- Competent – can make different clothing items without assistance or guidance, but not good enough to sew intricate projects or to sew without a pattern.
- Expert – can sew anything without instruction or assistance; possesses an expansive knowledge of sewing techniques and terminology.
- Stitch Composer Software
- Easily interchangeable needle plates
- Ergonomic design