When I reviewed Janome’s Memory Craft 9900 sewing and embroidery machine, I was truly pleased with the new features. It was a real treat for me to review this machine, especially since it is Janome’s most recent release. It’s always an honor to be one of the first to review a brand new sewing machine.
At A Glance
To look at it, the Janome Memory Craft 9900 looks very much like most other Janome sewing and embroidery machines. That’s until you learn that this machine comes with three separate face plates.
The on board stitch guide is a convenient flip-up screen that is situated directly above the machine. When you lift the door to thread the machine, it’s right there.
The clear bobbin cover is a definite plus. With this, it is almost impossible for users to run out of bobbin thread in the middle of a delicate embroidery project, while inserting a zipper, making a buttonhole, putting in a sleeve or just sewing a simple seam.
The standard features on the Janome Memory Craft 9900 include:
- 200 built-in utility and decorative stitches
- 6 One-step buttonholes
- Automatic thread tension
- Built-in needle threader
- AcuGuide automatic cloth guide
- Snap-on presser feet
- Memorized needle up/down
- Fast, one-step needle plate conversion – no screws
- 7 piece feed dog
- Stitch Composer stitch creation program
- Free arm
- Drop feed
- Start/stop button
- Speed control slider
- Locking stitch button
- Extra high presser foot lift
- Full color LCD touchscreen
- Foot pressure adjustment
- Adjustable stitch length and width
- Maximum stitch width: 9mm
- Maximum stitch length: 5mm
- On-screen assistance
- Built in timer tells you how long it will take to complete an embroidery project
- Easy set bobbin
- Bobbin winder with plate and cutting blade
- 175 Built-in embroidery designs
- 3 Fonts – 1 Cyrillic
- 2 &3 Letter monogramming function
- Maximum embroidery size: 6.7″ x 7.9″ (170mm x 200mm)
- Design transfer options: USB port
- On-screen editing: ability to resize, combine, duplicate, flip, arc, group, drag & drop, zoom, trace, select/change color choices
- Programmable jump thread trimming
- Flexible stitch travelling by units of 1, 10, and 100
- Auto return post thread break
- Adjustable hoop positioning
Working on the Janome Memory Craft 9900
Threading the Janome Memory Craft 9900 and winding the bobbin is as easy and uncomplicated as on almost any other Janome sewing, quilting or embroidery machine.
When inserting the bobbin, however, I discovered a new feature that makes tangling or bunching bobbin thread impossible.
There’s a thumb sized guide next to the rotary hook that automatically ensures the perfect thread position each and every time.
In addition, the clear plastic bobbin cover, seam guides etched on the interchangeable needle plates and five bright LED lights make working on the Janome Memory Craft 9900 an enjoyable experience.
At first, I thought the interchangeable face plates were an unnecessary add-on, but when you think about it, they are a wonderful way for your sewing machine to match your decor.
On top of the machine is a flip top that not only gives you access to the spool and bobbin winding pins, it also reveals the stitch selection chart. All 200 stitch options, including three monogramming and lettering fonts.
All of the decorative stitches can be rotated vertically or horizontally. Decorative stitches highlighted in pink are capable of rotating at 90o increments.
Watching the Memory Craft 9900 in action is a real treat. Completing this particular design takes about 90 minutes. As the work progresses, the tiny time clock in the upper right hand of the LCD screen counts the seconds down until the project is finished.
When the machine stops for thread color changes or to refill the bobbin, the clock stops and then starts back up when sewing is resumed. This feature makes it possible for you to always know exactly how much time is required for you to finish your embroidery project.
Changing the color of a design or a single element of any embroidery design is as simple as touching the elements you want to change and then using the stylus to touch the new replacement color on the on-board color palate.
The stitchwork is equivalent to any professional embroidery machine. Janome, after all, is the company that brought machine embroidery out of the factory and into the private home. It is still the leader of the pack when it comes to the quality of embroidery designs and ease of operation.
One of the most interesting new features on the Janome Memory Craft 9900 is the energy saver. If the machine sits idle for more than just a few minutes, the LED screen goes dark.
Although you can’t see it, you will not lose anything. Your work comes back up with a simple touch of the fingertip anywhere on the touchscreen.
- Natural fibers/cotton-linen-wool
- Fine fabrics/silk-satin-taffeta/velvet
- Synthetic fabrics/blends-rayon-polyester
- Reptile skin
- Extra thick fabrics or multiple layers
- 11 Presser feet
- Zigzag foot
- Overedge foot
- Satin stitch foot
- Blind hemming foot
- Zipper foot
- Rolled hem foot
- Darning foot
- Button sewing foot
- ¼” seam foot
- Embroidery foot
- Automatic buttonhole foot R
- Stabilizer plate
- Two needle plates – 1Straight stitch/1Zigzag stitch needle plate
- 5 Bobbins
- Needle set
- Lint brush
- Seam ripper (buttonhole opener)
- Quilting guide bar
- 2 Spool holders – 1 large/1 small
- Extra spool pin
- Button shank plate
- Touch panel stylus
- Bobbin holder cleaner
- 3 interchangeable face plates – Metallic teal, red, pearl white
- Cloth guide
- Semi hard cover
- Embroidery unit carrying case
- Instructional DVD
- 2 Embroidery hoops:
- SQ20a: 6.7″ x 7.9″
- SQ14a: 5.5″ x 5.5″
Optional Accessories available through janome:
- Free Arm FA10: 3.9″ x 1.6″
- 9mm presser feet
- Additional embroidery hoops
|After each use||Monthly*||Once Each Year**||As Needed|
|Clean race hook and feed dogs|
|Wipe head with soft dry cloth|
|Wipe head with soft damp cloth|
|Service by sewing machine repair professional|
Tying Off The Loose Ends
The Janome Memory Craft 9900 is whisper quiet. Although it weighs less than 30 pounds, I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a ‘portable’ sewing machine, but it is not a real heavy one either.
The carrying handle makes it easy to move about from one part of the house to another when necessary. The interchangeable color face plates are ideal accessories for the home sewer who feels it necessary to have a completely color coordinated sewing room.
Just image a sewing room that is so thoroughly color coordinated that even the machines complement the carpets, curtains, cabinetry and upholstery. To many, a sewing room like that would be a dream come true.
I can’t think of anything of significance that I don’t like about this machine. The fact that you cannot program more than one thread color at a time is in my opinion a very minor thing.
Besides, I cannot recall any other sewing and embroidery machine in the same weight and price range that allows you to program two or more thread colors at a time.
The Janome Memory Craft 9900 is great for the person who is new to machine embroidery because it is so easy to learn to operate.
In addition, anyone who has been embroidering on a sewing machine for any length of time would definitely appreciate the long list of features and the specifications that make this machine stand apart from just about every other sewing and embroidery machine on the market.
- Needs lots of help – able to sew a straight seam but unfamiliar with most sewing techniques; needs assistance and instruction on basic sewing techniques.
- Competent – can make different clothing items without assistance or guidance, but not good enough to sew intricate projects or to sew without a pattern.
- Expert – can sew anything without instruction or assistance; possesses an expansive knowledge of sewing techniques and terminology.
- Vertical or horizontal lettering
- Energy saver
- Vertical and horizontal stitch rotation
- Program 1 thread color at a time